Saturday, March 22, 2014

Time marches on

When Pink's album Missundaztood came out in 2001, I was 20 years old.  I listened to it over and over. One song in particular, "Family Portrait," with its lyrics of a broken home from a child's point of view, spoke to me personally.  I related to it from the perspective of a child of divorced parents.

For my birthday this year, at the ripe old age of 33, Jonathan got me Pink's Greatest Hits album.  "Family Portrait" is on it, and as I listened to the song and started singing along, I realized the lyrics were hitting me completely differently.  Instead of being the child in the song, all of a sudden my children were the kids, and I was thinking of what would happen to Xander and Ari and Connor if Jonathan and I ever split up.  It was so strange - I remember distinctly thinking of the song in one way in the past, with me being the one saying "Daddy, don't leave," and in the next instant my whole paradigm shifted as I pictured Xander crying the words.

I guess it makes sense logically - I mean, my life has changed radically from age 20 to age 33, and I went from being a kid to being an adult - but it still feels very odd to realize that the song hasn't changed at all... I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment