Friday, March 28, 2014

Media recs

I've been quite into the genre of ex-ultra-Orthodox Jews, and Leah Vincent's Cut Me Loose: Sin and Salvation After My Ultra-Orthodox Girlhood finally gave me exactly what I wanted - details on what happens after someone leaves.  Usually these memoirs detail the transition out of the community, and then end; in this one, Vincent is smack dab in the secular community barely one-quarter into the book.  Her narrative of how she learns to function and gain her own identity is harrowing, and explains both the insular quality of her previous life, and why an organization like Footsteps is so important.  Also interesting is that with just a quick Google search, one realizes that Leah Vincent is really Leah Miller, daughter of a prominent Orthodox rabbi in Pittsburgh.

Of course, as this is my third baby, this is the third time I'm recommending The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night by Elizabeth Pantley.  By this point rereading is like wrapping a warm comforter around me; cozy and reassuring and oh yes, I remember what that was now.  Everyone cross your fingers Connor starts to sleep.

My birthday movie a few weeks ago was About Time, which was utterly adorable. A young man finds he can travel backwards through time, so we rewrites his romantic history and tries to get the life he wants.  It sounds like it could be creepy or stalker-ish, but it's really sweet instead.  It's made by teh same people who did my other romantic comedy favorites Love Actually and Notting Hill, with some of the same cast.  Bill Nighy steals the show as usual.

And... I know there's more I wanted to write about, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was!  Oh well...  CRS syndrome starting early.  Or that aforementioned sleep deprivation.  Probably a mixture of both. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment