Friday, May 9, 2014

The beauty of innocence

A nicer story to combat the current plague....

Last weekend I was telling our middle child a story, trying to prep him for Jonathan and I leaving that evening (we went to a temple event and left the kids with a sitter).

"Once upon a time there was a little boy named...."

"Connor!"  he says.

"Okay, sure." I say. "His name was Connor.  And Connor had a Mommy and a Daddy and a big brother and a little brother. And he loved to play with them.  Except for when his big brother would hit him."

[He nods solemnly, empathizing with Connor in the story]

"And Connor had a lovey named Twilight Sparkle, and another one named Simba."

Ari's eyes grow wide.  "Mommy, I have Twilight Sparkle and Simba!!"

"You DO?" I ask, feigning amazement.

"YES!!" he shouts gleefully.

---

And the story continued.  I don't even remember how it ended, but the whole time, Ari was continually flabbergasted that the kiddo in the story was so similar to him.  It was like all these wondrous coincidences happening at once.  I couldn't help smiling throughout, he was just so cute!

2 comments: