Tuesday, May 20, 2014

My foray into the unknown

Yesterday I had some time to kill downtown, and I found myself in the big six-story Scientology church, out of curiosity.

Here are some quick observations, with an attempt to be non-judgmental:

- Wow, they have money!  The first part of the entrance was an information center and self-guided tour, with state-of-the-art LCD touchscreens and comfy chairs. (I might have disagreed with the information of most of what I watched, but I have to admire the set-up, it was flawless.)

- In each church there's a replica of L. Ron Hubbard's office.  It was shrine-like, and reminded me of ultra-Orthodox sects' deification of individual rabbis.

- There were things to buy laid out everywhere.  And I didn't even go into the bookstore itself.

- According to my tour guide, the room called the "chapel" is used for "services" that consist of listening to and watching Hubbard's lectures.  I asked her if there was a liturgy surrounding the lectures.  She asked what liturgy was.  I swallowed down my smile and said "prayers that are set, that you say the same every time."  She said no, just the lectures.

- We talked about the "statement of faith," a Scientology creed, that to me seemed like placing oneself in the context of the individual, expanding throughout to one's place in the broader universe.  I asked if this was considered exclusive to other religions, and she said no, that people can be other religions and Scientologist both.

Religion, cult, non-denominational worship arena?  You pick.  Either way, it was a very interesting visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment