Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Pride and jealousy

Xander was awesome in his school play on Friday.  There were two self-selecting groups of kids, one which performed in the musical, and one in the song-and-dance number.  Xander chose the latter.  I could tell he was nervous at first, but then he seemed to get into it.  Who knew he was so good at following choreography?

The pieces, in case you're wondering, were "Wakko's America" from the Animaniacs, which lists every state and its capitals, Pharrell's "Happy," and Natasha Bedingfield's "Unwritten."


Ari was enthralled but also jealous.  He wanted to sit with Xander at the beginning, go up on stage with him, be in Patty's class, etc.  We actually had to have a major talk with him because after it all ended and the kids were having free play, another kid, Ava, told Ari that he was her best friend.  And [you can never say I sugar-coat my life online, people] he punched her, hard, and told her that he wanted Xander to be his best friend instead.  Aagh!

When we left Ava was in tears, Ari was all huffy because he got in trouble, and Xander was sullen because he didn't want to go home.  Connor was the only one who wasn't crying in the car, purely because he was a limp noodle who fell asleep the minute we started the engine.

A sad ending to an otherwise wonderful evening.

6 comments:

  1. oy. well, you can't ever say that Ari doesn't love his older brother! Poor Ava.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the only curly headed kid on that stage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Xander is a standout whenever he performs. He has natural rhythm and grace, and I've heard him belt out songs. He didn't want to go home. It was HIS magical "moment" and he wanted it to keep on going.....did he really have to go home while other kids were still partying????? His tears sear me.

    Ari is a different ball o' wax. I'm concerned about him. His instinctive impulse when he feels thwarted is to lash out physically. With him, it's fists first. How many heart-to-heart talks have you already had with him, stressing that you fight with WORDS, not FISTS. I believe he really needs help with anger management or trouble lies ahead. Poor Ava! I'm afraid she's going to came back for more. She loves him. Poor Ava!
    (I can remember Way-Back-When I was stuck on the "bad boy" in school.)

    Oy! Wait until Connor begins to feel his oats!!

    The Grandmother has the ideal job --lotsa interaction, and no responsibility. And bear in mind that I'm the GREAT-Grandmother!!!! My comments are totally uncensored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the rest of his life, Xander will know the name of the Capital of every State of the United States of America. It's going to come in very handy unexpectedly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, Ari definitely loves his brother. And Savta, I don't think you need to be that concerned. If he's this impulsive at 10, or even 8, we'll look into it. But as a 4 year old, he's very much like others his age. Xander is more the unusual one in this equation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew! Now I'm relieved, Michal. My looking glass tends to exaggerate, or magnify a bit. Thanks for putting me straight.

      Delete