Thursday, January 2, 2014

Sad news

Sylvan Finestone, the husband of my other mother Gwen, passed away last week.  He was kind, generous, sarcastic and funny (oy the puns), and always really listened to what we had to say.  Even though we weren't related by blood, I always felt that he cared deeply for myself and my family.  He will be missed.

And then today I just heard about the death of an educational colleague's mother, who is also the mother-in-the-law of our temple administrator.  Last time I saw her at Yom Kippur she seemed robust.  How sad.

Life goes by so fast, and the years really are fleeting.  I say this while ruefully acknowledging that I don't always appreciate that fact, as this winter break each individual day has seemed to last forever, and I can't wait to get the kids to bed most nights.  Life is ironic, no?

4 comments:

  1. What does the song Sunrise, Sunset say? Swiftly flow the days and swiftly fly the years.....So don't feel guilty about wanting to put the boys to bed. The days can be long. So put your feet up, cradle the baby, and watch a movie. You earned it.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Michal. Life is ironic... One of these days, you will want the days to be longer... Because they will feel too short!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh - usually that only happens on workdays when I can't get everything done!

      Delete