Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Money, midwives, and municipalities

Money
On the first of the year we gifted Xander with a Berenstain Bears book about money and a Moonjar Moneybox, a piggy bank with three sections for Share, Save, and Spend.  He's getting one dollar a week allowance now and oy, do I feel old, having a child old enough to get an allowance.

Midwives
Call the Midwife is a great show, and one I highly recommend.  Great character and historical piece, with a look that makes it seem like it was shot in the 1950s.  Scandal, on the other hand, is reminiscent of West Wing in dialogue and pace, but is even more addictive.  It's like watching Battlestar Galactica, there's a cliffhanger every last scene.  Thank goodness for Netflix and binge TV watching.

Municipalities
One of my Hanukkah gifts was a subscription to the NY Times online, which is awesome.  Even better is that I just downloaded the app on my phone and the access is incredible.  I love that I no longer have to choose which of the 10 free articles to read, but can now be as informed about the world as I want!

Also: bonus video in the form of what has got to be one of the worst interviews Fox news has ever done: the scholar Reza Aslan wrote a book called Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth.  And no matter what you think of the book, the interview is hilariously horrible - the interviewer completely ignores his book and focuses on why a scholar of religion who happens to be Muslim, would write a book about early Christianity.

2 comments:

  1. Michal- this is why we're friends. I am *obsessed* with Scandal. We even bought season 3 on Amazon when we finished with the seasons on Netflix. I'm currently in withdrawal waiting for it to start up again in February. I also check the NY Times site every day- enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a "like" button! I'm at the end of the first season of Scandal now, and it's awesome. And LOL same, I always checked the first page of the NYT, and then would do a google search for the article so I could read it. This is so much better... not to mention morally correct.:)

      Delete