Thursday, October 3, 2013

We have a snake: Blackie’s backstory

(written by Jonathan)

Yes, as of last weekend, we own a snake; much to my wife’s dismay.  This story really goes way back to when we lived in Cincinnati and Xander was two years old.  We were at a local Petsmart picking up cat food for the cats he never was all that fond of, when I caught him staring at the reptile display.  Inside one of the cages was a Kenyan Sand Boa, captive-bred but native to Kenya, Africa.   “Do you want to hold it?” I asked. 

I should disclose that I have a lot of experience with reptiles, and years ago used to be a member of the Bay Area Reptile Society.  At one time I owned snakes ranging from 6 inches in size to 16 feet.  I even bred sand boas like the one we were looking at that day, so I felt pretty comfortable teaching him a little about another of nature’s wonders, as I try with to every new animal he is introduced to.

Xander nodded his head with a hint of excitement showing in a growing smile.  I hailed an employee and had him open up the snake’s habitat.  When it was obvious I knew dramatically more about the snake than he did, he just let me take over.  Xander held the 7-inch orange and black spotted baby Sand Boa in his hand with a look of joy on his face.  I told Xander where the snake lives in the wild and about how it sees the world with its sniffing tongue.  As I did so, the snake tried to burrow in a fold in Xander’s hand and he giggled.

I went home that day not knowing the seed that had been planted.  From then on Xander loved reptiles, especially snakes.  His favorite story was about Verdi, the baby Tree Python.  He would have face painters put snakes on his face, get snake tattoos, and even had a pet wooden snake that he went to bed with for months.  I thought it was a phase he would grow out of.  Michal prayed it would be a phase he would grow out of.  He never grew out of it.

For the past year and a half he has asked to have a real snake and so Michal, reluctantly, agreed that we would allow it for his fifth birthday.  As luck would have it, a week before his birthday was the Sacramento Reptile Show.  I thought it would be a great opportunity for Xander and me to have some Daddy-Xander bonding time and to see if he was serious about a real live snake.  

Now, Xander is kind of shy, especially in large crowds.  I have taken him to comic and game conventions before and he usually just clings to my leg or whines that he’s bored.  What I saw at the reptile show was a completely different Xander.  He grabbed my hand and dragged me from table to table.  Staring wide-eyed and smiling at all the snakes and lizards.



He was a little cautious around the insect-eating plants...


but he would rush right up to the little snake enclosures to see what lay inside.  He would point to this snake and that snake and wait for me to tell him all about the species. 

One of the best moments was when we found a baby tree python just like in his favorite story Verdi.  He stared at the bright yellow baby snake like he was looking at a rock star.  And above him were his deep green parents, hanging on a branch in the classic tree python hanging coil.  Xander all but pressed his nose onto the glass. 

Without a doubt, his favorite time was holding an adult Kenyan Sand Boa.  


The slow and gentle snake nudged his palm with his nose, sniffed around with his tongue then found a warm comfy hidey in Xander’s sleeve.  His joy radiated in his face.  He giggled and laughed while the snake slowly made his way into his shirt.  He almost collapsed in laughter when the snake found his arm pit and tickled it with his snake tongue.  He was enthralled and I had to concede; this boy loves snakes.  














Here is me with a large boa.  I must admit that I miss the feel of a large strong snake on my shoulders.



That is a real alligator and parrot on those kids.  Xander *wasn’t* interested in that experience.



I showed him every baby Red Tail Boa, Argentine Boa, Milk Snake, Corn Snake, King Snake, Ball Python, Tree Python and every other baby that slithered, but his mind was set.  He wanted a Kenyan Sand Boa like the one he held over 2 years ago.

So, I introduce you to Blackie Orange Loving, the newest member of our family. 



This name came to be only after much thought and deliberation from Xander.  It was Michal who suggested he could name him after how the snake acts or looks.  But Xander was the one who decreed the name to everyone, not once wavering when other options were given. 


Ari is more of a mammal lover than a reptile lover, but is truly excited about his big brother's new pet.  Jan (AKA Bubby) bless her heart has made a real effort to be supportive for Xander.  We just might make a snake lover out of her yet.  ;)

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Xander really had a great time! His smile was HUGE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that big boa on your shoulders doesn't like you enough to give you a big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that the men in the family are happy, but I'm with Michal. No snakes for me, please! :-)

    ReplyDelete