Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Apparently I am a torturer of children

A congregant made us some homemade mac n'cheese.  We served it for dinner.  Jonathan, Robin and I thought it was excellent.

The kids rebelled.  They refused to eat any of it.  It wasn't Kraft.

We told them they had to have one "mousie" bite, one or two noodles, before they could have something else.  That they didn't want to be Mr. Picky-doo from Green Eggs and Ham.  That different and new wasn't always bad; remember when Xander didn't want to go on the monorail at Disneyland, but then loved it?  Remember when they had never tried licorice before, but then really liked it?

No luck.  

They refused to eat even one noodle.

For two and a half hours.  

There were tantrums involved.  They were hungry.  We stuck to our guns.  

The end result?  Xander ate one noodle, then had a separate dinner.  Ari never ate his noodle and ended up asking to go to bed.

Just call me Torquemada.

6 comments:

  1. Oy. Big sigh. Shaking my head. I'm so sorry. You have children with minds of their own. I guess that's a good thing?
    Sympathetically,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds rough for everybody involved. :-( We have something along the same lines as well, we call it a "no thank you" bite- you have to try it before you can say no thank you to it!

    If it makes you feel any better, Julian has problems with non-Kraft mac n cheese as well. It can't have shredded cheese on top, it can't be any color other than orangeish-yellow, it has to be the elbow macaroni.... I hear ya! Some day they'll be mildly more adventurish... at least in their 30's right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I like that "no thank you" bite idea! Very smart. And thank you for telling me that about Julian, it does make me feel better, actually! At least mine aren't the only ones. :)

      Delete
  3. As Mel Brooks used to say, "Torquemada.... you can't torquemada nuttin' "

    ReplyDelete