Friday, May 31, 2013

Hard at work

 Making a collage.




We have this picture up on our wall. :)



And speaking of kids at school... I ROCKED my part of the potluck for tonight's "International Night" with my Israeli salad.  There were only dregs left in the bowl afterward, and it was a huge bowl.  

I was also really impressed, again, with the diversity at that school.  Almost all the families attended, and there were dishes from Kuwait, China, Mexico, Japan, Cambodia,  Laos, Italy, Greece, Armenia, Jamaica, Brazil, Sweden, and more that I don't remember.  I laughed when I saw that the "token" completely white-looking kid had brought in BBQ chicken from the "United States of America"!  Looking around at the variety of skin colors, hearing a bunch of languages, and noticing the kimono to the Scandinavian dress to the hijab reminded me how much can change depending on where you live - it wasn't that long ago that 2 year-old Xander was scared of a black person in Cincinnati because he'd never talked to someone with skin that dark before.

But going back to my salad (because that's the important part!).... Here's the recipe in case anyone wants to make it.  Full disclosure: my proportions fed probably 15-20 people, so it took me an hour and a half from beginning to clean-up.  Cut it in half and it'll still be brilliant for an 8-person dinner.  Abba, I thought of you the whole time I was chopping!

ISRAELI SALAD

6 English cucumbers (Usually by tomato section, wrapped in individual plastic, long thin ones) – Take out middle seed section. Dice, skin on.

6 Roma tomatoes – Take out seeds.  Dice.

1 yellow bell pepper, 1 orange bell pepper.  Take out seeds.  Dice.

5 green onion stalks – Thinly slice.

1 bunch flat leaf parsley (1 cup) – Don’t use stems, rough chop where it’s tied.

Fresh mint bunch (½ cup) – Take off all stems.  Finely chop.

1 head of garlic (or 2 if small) – Finely mince.

½ cup olive oil

2 lemons – Roll on table, cut in half, squeeze juice in bowl.  3 to 6 tablespoons.

Toss and serve.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to print this recipe out! Thanks, honey. And I love the pics of Ari. He is growing up so fast!!!!
    xoxo
    Mom

    ReplyDelete