Monday, May 25, 2015

Gorgeous going-away gift

Auntie Lois had a tallit, a prayer shawl, made for me.  FROM SCRATCH.  It's amazing.  She presented it at the dinner mentioned in the last post.  I was overwhelmed.  Auntie Lois, we love you!


Tallit in its original form.





On the loom.





I don't even really know what I'm looking at, but man it looks complicated.





Closer to completion.





The final shawl.  Together Lois and I put on the tzitzit, the specially-knotted fringes on the four corners, which made it a tallit.  I was so touched.  And so very grateful.




Bonus picture: Xander and his cousin John at dinner.

4 comments:

  1. Lillian Liss, Michal's Savta in IsraelMay 26, 2015 at 8:34 AM

    The concept of CREATING a Tallit can only come from a wellspring of Love. I bow to you, Lois on the spiritual immensity of your thought. As Michal devotes herself to the rabbinic nurturing of her congregation in Florida, she will surely be strengthened and inspired whenever she wraps herself in the folds of this exquisite prayer shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a beautiful talit and a a lovely, thoughtful gift. so am i bad that i think that the best thing about this post is the picture of the boys? <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Savta, you're a poet. And Mom, I think you're a good grandmother. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oy! I was so carried away by the birth of your Tallit that I forgot to mention that marvelous picture of those two bright boys! Such eager faces, with friendliness like warm handshakes!

      Delete